CALLING ALL LANE LEADERS



Can you be a lane leader?
Ask the following questions to see:
  • Do I come to practice regularly?
  • Would I like to try something out of my comfort zone?
  • Do I listen to coaches well?
  • Do I understand main sets with focus points?  
  • Can I hold my lane accountable for doing the right thing?
  • Am I able to get the attention of the swimmers in my lane?
  • Do I like to push myself to go as fast as possible?
  • Can I handle disappointment if I have to resume a different place in line?
  • Do I understand the interval clock?
  • Can I take constructive criticism if I miss an interval or make a mistake? 
  • Do I execute my turns correctly and circle swim properly?   
Future lane leaders, try the following:
  • Go second in line.
  • Watch the clock carefully and make sure the current leader is on track.
  • Help the lane leader share information with the lane.
  • Ask questions about sets if you don't understand.
  • Tell the lane leader you are practicing and ask if you can try to lead part of a set.
  • Once you are comfortable, try to pass the lane leader.   

Thoughts to consider:  

A good objective of leadership is to help those who are doing poorly to do well and to help those who are doing well to do even better. ~Jim Rohn

Lane leaders can lead the swimmers in his/her lane to be their best...
  • "Let's all try to do six dolphin kicks off the wall this time."
  • "Guys, make sure you slide over and let everyone finish into the wall."
  • "We broke 35 seconds on that fifty, let's go for 33 seconds this time!"
Leadership is an opportunity to serve. It is not a trumpet call to self-importance. ~Donald Walters

Be a silent leader and just see how good it feels... 
  • Silently stack boards.  Not,  "Hey Coach Steven, I stacked the boards!"
  • Leave the deck clean and tidy.  Not,  "Hey Coach Alex, I threw away every one's trash."
  • "Coach Melanie, do you need help picking up boards?"  Not,  "I am the only one who helps around here.


Share